One-Off Bad Electrical Connection Caused Tesla Model S Fire in France

Tesla has revealed the cause of a Model S fire that happened last month in France.

The sedan caught fire during a test drive in Biarritz, France, and after an investigation, a Tesla spokesperson has confirmed to Fox News that a loose electrical connection was the cause. Two guests and a Tesla representative were inside the vehicle during the incident and, according to driver Nicholas Cano, there was a loud noise from the car before the Tesla employee asked him to pull over. All three were able to safely leave the vehicle before the fire started.

SEE ALSO: Tesla Model S Catches Fire During Test Drive in France

The Tesla spokesman in France said that “the fire was caused by a bolted electrical connection that had been improperly tightened.” He added that the electrical connections are normally installed by a robot, but in that particular car, the connection was installed manually. It’s unclear why the connection wasn’t done by a robot like it typically is, but the spokesman did say that there has never been a similar incident in another car.

[Source: Tesla]

Discuss this story on our Tesla Forum

Leave a Reply